Have you caught the new show on Hulu, Tiny Beautiful Things? It’s based off the book by Cheryl Strayed (author of Wild, which was also made into a movie in 2014.) While the book is a series of advice columns Strayed wrote for “Dear Sugar,” the show follows a fictionalized version of the story as a woman named Clare decides to take over the “Dear Sugar” column from her colleague. Clare is played by the wonderful Kathryn Hahn (Parks & Recreation, WandaVision), who seriously elevates everything she’s in. It’s all about the trials and tribulations of being an adult fuck-up, and how easy it is for us to fall into a pit of despair. But when you focus on the tiny beautiful things? That’s the way to crawl out, to remember how great life can really be.
Even if you’re having a rough time, even if you’re only at the beginning of your self-help journey, even when you’re struggling just to get by each day, look back at these tiny beautiful things that provide shiny little lights in an otherwise dreary existence:
- Long night drives in the middle of nowhere.
- Laying on your floor, listening to the song that speaks to you, on repeat.
- Wrapping yourself in a blanket that’s hot out of the dryer.
- The long hug from a friend you haven’t seen in forever.
- The smile and hello from a stranger that sticks with you all day.
- The little bits of stress you let go when you get your hair washed at the salon.
- Sipping tea or coffee that’s at the exact right temperature.
- The moment they first say “I love you.”
- The moment you first say “I love you” back.
- Your skin warming under the sun for the first time after a long winter.
- Staying up late to finish a really good book, not caring that you have to be up soon.
- Finding out you have something niche in common with a new friend.
- The moment you realize you’ve come out the other side from a bad situation.
- Jumping in puddles in the rain like a kid again.
- The first time your pet climbed up on your lap and snuggled with you.
- When you got a compliment on the outfit you felt self-conscious about.
- When you stopped to admire the way the light filtered through the trees.
- Eating cereal for dinner as soon as you became an adult and could do whatever you want.
- The smell of bacon wafting in from the kitchen.
- Talking for hours and only realizing it when the restaurant starts to close.
- Laughing so much that your sides hurt.
- Finding joy in someone’s dimples, their freckles, their imperfections.
- When they said, “I understand.”
- When they said, “It’s okay.”
- When you believed them.
Check out Tiny Beautiful Things on Hulu.